Monday, April 4, 2016

I'm Still Alive!


It's been six months since last I published here, give or take a few days, so I thought I'd get back to it. I'm rusty and have avoided sitting down to this blank screen because I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to write well enough to actually hit the 'publish' button when I'm finished. My fingers are crossed, figuratively, and here I go!

To say a lot has happened since last September would be an understatement. I never intended this blog to be a diary of my life, but since it's been quite awhile since my last post, I'll list a few highlights and perhaps you'll understand why my fear of being too rusty isn't the only reason I've been away.

~Luke and Bailey came to live with us in mid-July. They started new jobs here in the Valley and purchased a home in Kimberly. It was a fixer-upper. Mark and I helped them with lots of the 'fixer-uppering'--painting, plumbing, cleaning, etc. A professional sanded and refinished beautiful hardwood which had been hiding under the living room carpet. Luke and Bailey moved into their first home in mid-October.

~It wasn't long after the move that Luke and Bailey announced they were expecting a baby, scheduled to arrive on April 12, 2016! We were over the moon for them, as they had suffered the loss of their first baby due to a miscarriage last spring. On December 7, they brought over the ultrasound pictures. Watch the video below to see our reaction to the pictures!
 
At 22 weeks, that was the last news we expected to hear since an earlier ultrasound only showed one baby. But "two babies" equals TWINS, and that's a "wow" any time!

~We began a complete kitchen renovation in late August of 2015 and our new granite counter-top was put in on September 30. We lived five and a half weeks without a kitchen--no sink, no stove/oven, no cabinets...no kitchen! I never thought I'd hear myself say, "I'm really sick of eating out," but after about two weeks of no kitchen, that is exactly what I said! Luke and Bailey were living with us throughout the renovation and they were troopers. We couldn't be more pleased with the outcome! Check it out...I feel like I'm living in a HGTV kitchen every day!
Kitchen work area--before
Before
Refrigerator wall before
Peninsula before
One more before photo
New island with pendant lights
New island with seating for five
No more peninsula-I love my new kitchen!
Refrigerator wall with seed glass cupboard
A larger look-through to the family room!



~Then came Thanksgiving and Christmas!

~At the end of January, Mark and I flew to New Bern, North Carolina for what is probably the last time. Our son-in-law, Nick, finished his four year active duty commitment to the United States Marine Corps, and he elected to close the book on his military service. Nick will remain in the inactive reserves for the the next four years. Leah, Miriam, Lyla and I flew home, while Nick and Mark drove the 20 hours from N.C. to Milwaukee; all their earthly possessions in a U-haul truck and the family minivan. We were very relieved to see the boys pull into the neighborhood in Milwaukee!

~Now for more about the babies. Late in January, Bailey experienced signs of early labor. She was hospitalized for two days and placed on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. She was 27 weeks along the day she was discharged from the hospital. In the early morning hours of March 7, I got a text message from Luke. Bailey's water broke and they were heading to the hospital. At 12:23 p.m. and 12:43 p.m. on Monday March 7, our beautiful grandsons were born. Leo and Max have spent the first four weeks of their lives in the NICU. Max came home today, praise the Lord. Leo remains in the hospital. Hopefully, it won't be long and this beautiful family of four can be together at home! Luke and Bailey are already awesome parents!
Leo in blue, Max looking at dad!



~Over the last three months, I've been working with a local assisted living facility to make arrangements for my mom. She turned 88 years old in February, and it is time for her to be in an environment where she can get additional care/help if she needs it. A move is planned for April 23. There will be a period of transition for her, but I think once the dust settles, she will be happy, comfortable, and safe in her new home.

My life has been busy these past several months, and I am a blessed woman. In spite of the busyness (is that a word?), I hope to write more often here. No promises, but I've got some ideas running around my head that I need to give voice to. Oh yes, I'm still alive! :)

4 comments:

  1. Great post Mom! You definitely still have "it" when it comes to writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Luke! Glad you found time to read my post! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Love to you all! And yes Aunt Mary, Luke is definitely right. You are an amazing writer... always have been!! Thinking about your family these days. Lots of prayers and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and for reading, Sara! And thanks especially for the prayers! Hugs right back! :)

      Delete