Wednesday, March 7, 2018

On Being a Grandma

It is hard to believe that our first grandchild was born five years ago today. In other words, today is the fifth anniversary of my grand-motherhood. Humor me as I reflect on this amazing role.

Being a grandma is a gift; quite possibly the sweetest gift ever. Grandchildren are precious human beings who immediately capture your heart. Their possession of your heart is different from the way your own children occupy that space. I believe the difference has to do with responsibility.

When your child is born, you realize very quickly in sort of an ominous way that the buck stops with you. You and your husband are responsible for a life; for all of it--the nurturing, the providing, the loving, the disciplining, the forgiving, for the totality of training up a child! Wow! Makes me wonder how we did it (so far)!

When a grandchild is born, some amazing things happen. You see your child in the role of parent, and the pride you feel and the love you have for your child grows immeasurably. And when you hold your grandchild, there is a connection to that flesh of your flesh that is indescribable. Your heart connects to the heart of that little person in a profound way. She has done nothing, but be born, yet she is loved. And my only responsibility as grandma is to simply love! Such a deal! Such a gift!

Since our first grand-daughter arrived, we have been blessed with four more grandchildren, including twins who share today's birth date! God's sense of humor is clear to me here...5 grandchildren, but only three birth dates to remember. Thank you, Lord! :)

I am grateful, I am blessed, I am grandma!
Thanksgiving 2017

"Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you're all-wise and prehistoric." ~Pam Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment